Want to get internet connections in the hard to reach areas of your house? D-LINK AC750 Wi-Fi RANGE EXTENDER DAP-1520 is just what you are looking for. This is the new dual-band extender that supports 2.4Hz, as well as 5GHz networks. The extender comes with a lot of features and offers excellent Wi-Fi signal extension. D-LINK DAP-1520 AC750 EXTENDER weighs only 3.67 ouches. The larger design makes sure that it can support the dual-band of the extender. It is a small extender that doesn’t come with any Ethernet ports. It has just one LED light showing the connection status. D-LINK DAP-1520 EXTENDER’s wireless AC provides you with high-speed connectivity. You can expect a wireless speed of up to 750 Mbps.
It comes with Wi-Fi Protected Setup for a secure and one-touch setup procedure. No matter where you place it in your home, you can expect to increase the wireless network’s range. Albeit, it is a tiny device, it is powerful.
How to Setup the D-LINK AC750 Wi-Fi Range Extender (DAP-1520) Using WPS?
WPS or Wi-Fi Protected Setup is one of the most secure and easiest ways to connect to the extender to the router. If you want to connect D-LINK AC750 DAP-1520 to your router using WPS one-touch setup, you will have to follow a few simple steps.
Before you start with the setup process, make sure you know the access points or the router to enable WPS.
Now, let’s move on to the step to install the router.
- Look for the outlet available near the wireless router. Plugin the extender and wait for the LED power light to blink amber prior to continuing with the process.
- Press the wireless router’s WPS button or the access point.
- Within a minute, you need to press the WPS button on the extender. you will see the Status or the Power light blinking green. If the LED turns solid green, D-LINK AC750 Wi-Fi RANGE EXTENDER (DAP-1520) will be connected to the access point or the wireless router securely.
- You can unplug and move the extender to a location between the area where you would lie to place your wireless extender and the router.
Note: When you are using WPS for connecting the router, the SSID on the extender, it is going to be assigned the following.
- 5GHz: EXT5G
- 2.4 GHz: EXT
The Wi-Fi password for the router is going to be the same as the password for the extender.
- Connect the wireless clients to the extender. Now, for the wireless device, open ‘Wireless Utility’ for displaying the networks that are available and choose the Wi-Fi name for the extender. The Wi-Fi name and password are given on the specification sticker that is located underside the device
So, now, you have successfully set up the router using WPS.
How to Set Up D-LINK AC750 Wi-Fi RANGE EXTENDER DAP-1520 Using the Mobile App?
You can set up D-LINK DAP 1520 using your Android or iOS smartphone or tablet. For this, you have to download the QRS app.
So, make sure that you download the QRS app from Google Play Store and App Store from Android and iOS devices, respectively. You can also scan the QR code on the device to download the app.
Now, you need to connect to the Wi-Fi network which has been displayed on the Wi-Fi Configuration Card which has been provided with the package. Thereafter, you will have to enter the Wi-Fi password that is mentioned on the Wi-Fi Configuration Card.
Once the mobile device has been connected, you have to open on the icon to launch it. After opening the app, you will have to follow these steps to set up the extender.
- Tap on ‘Start’ on the app and then on ‘Next’.
- Let the app detect the extender and scan the Wi-Fi network available. Choose the Wi-Fi network that you would like to extend and enter the required password.
- Next, you will have to enter the Network Name that is the SSID and the password for the 2.4GHz Wi-Fi network that has to be extended. If you want, you can stick to the existing SSID and the password.
- Click on the option ‘Next’ to continue with the process.
- Enter the Network Name or the SSID along with the Password for the 5GHz extended Wi-Fi network. Thereafter, you will have to click on ‘Next’ for continuing with it.
- Your extender doesn’t have a default admin password for the Web-based configuration utility. So, you can create your own password and then click on the option ‘Next’ for continuing with it.
- A settings summary is going to be displayed. So, you will have to click on ‘Save’ to save the settings and then reboot the device. Make sure you note down the Network Name and Password of the Wi-Fi.
So, now, your setup is complete. The confirmation screen is going to appear. For connecting to the extended Wi-Fi network, you have to change the laptop and other device’s settings to the name and password of the Wi-Fi you create. To make it easier for you, there is a ‘Share by E-Mail’ button to share the information through email.
How to Set Up D-LINK DAP-1520 EXTENDER Through a Mobile Browser?
You can set up the extender device using a computer or wireless device to access the Web-based Configuration Utility to complete the tasks of,
- Running the Setup Wizard
- Upgrading the Firmware
- Changing the Wireless and Network setting.
Now, let’s move on to the step-by-step guide to set up the extender using a web browser.
- Plug the D-LINK AC750 Wi-Fi RANGE EXTENDER (DAP-1520) into an outlet near a router. You can’t move to any other location after you are done configuring.
- Now, you have to open wireless utility on your computer or wireless device. Choose the Wi-Fi Name and then enter the password.
- You will have to open your preferred web browser and enter http://dlinkap.local./ in the address field of the browser. You can also enter your D-Link extender’s IP address. In case you are using Windows XP, you have to enter http://dlinkap. This will open the Log In screen.
The extender’s default IP address is 192.168.0.50. As soon as the extender connects to the router, it is going to be provided with a new IP address depending on the D-LINK AC750 Wi-Fi RANGE EXTENDER (DAP-1520) settings. You have to log into the router to find out the IP address which had been assigned to the extender.
- Now, you will have to enter the Password. When you are done, click on ‘Log In’. You will see that the password field is blank.
Note: In case you are logging in for the first time in the extender, you are going to be directed to the Setup Wizard automatically.
- The Home page shows the ‘Current Status’. A green checkmark is going to represent that you have been successful in making a connection to the Access Point or the wireless router. In case you find a red X towards the left of the D-Link extender, click on the ‘Uplink Router’ icon to connect to the Access Point or the wireless router.
D-LINK DAP-1520 Review
In case you are not looking for many advanced features such as audio streaming, file sharing, etc. D-LINK AC750 Wi-Fi RANGE EXTENDER (DAP-1520) can be a great option. It is available at the most affordable price. In case you just need better coverage at a budget price, this device is the best way to get an additional Wi-Fi boost you are craving. On a 5GHz Wi-Fi band, it can offer excellent extender. However, it performs quite well on 2.4GHz, too. Its compact size makes it portable. Also, it ensures, you can fit it anywhere you want. With WPS one-touch settings, you can set up the extender in no time. It has a few customization choices. The device is great for an average home or a small business.