Not getting strong signals at all the corners of your house? Use D-LINK AC1200 Wi-Fi Range Extender (DAP-1620) to extend the home wireless network’s coverage and enjoy faster speed. With this, you can enjoy reduced interference and greater flexibility. Its MU-MIMO technology ensures high speeds for several devices at the same time. D-LINK DAP-1620 extender setup is explained here-
No matter where you place it in your house, you can experience high-speed Wi-Fi on your connected devices. It helps in creating a whole-home mesh network that connects the devices to the strongest network, automatically.
D-LINK AC1200 (DAP-1620) comes with a Smart Signal Indicator that lets you find out the strongest and the weakest signal spots. Hence, you can easily find out the best possible location for placing the extender. You can easily set up the extender with just a push of the WPS button. If you want to know more about how to setup D-LINK DAP-1620, just keep reading.
How to Set Up D-LINK AC1200 Wi-Fi Range Extender DAP-1620 Using the WPS Button?
In order to connect an access point or wireless router and extend the network in your house, you have to make sure that the Access Point or the source router has a virtual or an actual WPS button.
Now, let’s proceed to the steps to set it up.
- While the WPS LED is blinking amber, you have to push the access point or the source router’s WPS button. Thereafter, you have to push the WPS button on the D-LINKDAP-1620. The LED light will begin flashing green. Give the process 2 minutes to be complete. The LED light will then turn solid green if the extender has been connected successfully to the access point or the source wireless router.
- In case the Signal Indicator on the extender has a single amber bar after it is connected, you will know that it has poor connection quality. For improving the connection quality, move the DLINK AC1200 DAP-1620 to a wall outlet that is closer to the access point or source wireless router. The more bars light-up on the Signal Indicator, the better signal you have.
- Now, you have to connect the devices to the DLINK DAP-1620. It is ready to share the extended internet network with mobile devices and PC. You can use the WPS methods for connecting to the extended network that has been created by the extender using the network names given below. The password for this is going to be the same as the wireless network you are extending.
• 5 GHz: (Your router’s SSID)-EXT5G
• 2.4 GHz: (Your router’s SSID)-EXT
It is better to use the 5GHz extension network if you want to achieve faster speeds.
How to Set Up DLINK DAP-1620 Using a Mobile Device?
You can use your phone to set up the D-LINK DAP 1620. It can be set up using an iPad, iPhone, iPod Touch, or an Android tablet or smartphone using the QRS Mobile App.
Let’s find out how you can set it up.
- First, you will have to download the QRS Mobile App from Google Play Store for App Store for Android and iOS devices, respectively.
- Once you are done installing the app, it is time for you to configure the extender. So, you need to connect to the router without wire by going over to the wireless utility on the device. Scan the Wi-Fi (SSID) name that has been listed on the configuration card. Choose and then enter the Wi-Fi password.
- Once you are done connecting to the extender wirelessly, open the QRS Mobile app from the device’s Home screen.
- Click on ‘Start’ to continue with the process.
- On the next page, you have to click on ‘Next’ to continue.
- The app will first detect the extender and then scan for the Wi-Fi networks available. Choose the network that you would like to extend. Tap on the option ‘Rescans’ in case the network isn’t listed the first time.
- Enter the password for the previous Wi-Fi network and then click on ‘Next’ to continue.
- Now, it is time to enter the network name (SSID) along with the password to get access to the extended Wi-Fi network. When you are done, click on ‘Next’ to continue with it.
- You have to create the admin password for the extender’s web-based configuration utility. Now, you will have to click on ‘Next’ to continue with the process.
- You will see a summary of your settings. So, click on the option ‘Save’ for rebooting the device and completing the setup.
For connecting to the wireless network, you have to change the laptop or mobile device Wi-Fi settings to the wireless network name and insert the password you create. If you want, you can share the Wi-Fi information through email.
How to Use the Web-Based Setup for D-LINK Wi-Fi Range Extender DAP-1620?
If you want to access the setup utility of the D-LINK DAP-1620 Range Extender on your PC, you first have to connect to the extender wireless using the Wi-Fi name and the password that is given on the Wi-Fi’s configuration card. Thereafter, you have to open the web browser and type http://dlinkap.local./. You can also enter the IP address of the extender.
Note: The default IP address of the extender is 192.168.0.50. Once the extender connects to the host network, it is going to be provided with a new IP address on the basis of the network’s DHCP setting. You have to log into the router to find out what IP address has been assigned to the extender.
Now, you have to enter the password. The by default username is ‘Admin’ and you cannot change it and the password is by default blank.
The configuration interface is going to open up and you can configure the different settings for the DLINK DAP-1620. In case you haven’t yet configured the uplink network, the home screen is going to show that there isn’t any connecting between the extender and the uplink router.
How to Set Up D-LINK AC1200 Wi-Fi Range Extender (DAP-1620) Manually Using an Existing Network Option?
If you have to set up the network manually, choose ‘Extend an Existing Network’ from the menu of the setup wizard. Then, click on ‘Next’ to continue with the process.
The DAP-1620 is going to scan the wireless networks that are available and show you the results. You have to choose one of the following options in order to proceed.
- In case the wireless network that you would like to extend has been detected through the scanning process, click on the network for selecting it. The extender is going to take you to the next step automatically.
- In case the network that you wish to extend has been detected by the scan, you have to click on the ‘Manual’ button.
In case the wireless network that you would like to extend has not been detected by the scan, your extender can be out of range and you might have to place it close to the host network.
- However, if the network that you want to extend has been detected by the scan, you have to enter the password.
- Click on ‘Next’ for continuing with the configuration of the extension network setting. You can also click on ‘Back’ to get back to the previous step.
- In case you have chosen ‘Manual’, you have to enter the Wireless Network Name, the password, and the type of security of the existing password network that you would like to connect to.
- Click on ‘Next’ to just continue configuring the extension network settings or just click on ‘Back’ to go back to the previous step.
- In case you have established a connection successfully, you will be asked to configure the extension network settings. The current network names and passwords are displayed.
- You can now rename the 5GHz and 2.4GHz networks. In case you would like to input a different password for every network, just deselect the option ‘use the same password for both networks’. Thereafter, you will have to create a new password.
- Make sure you note down the changes you are making as the credentials might be needed for the wireless clients that wish to join the network.
DLINK AC1200 DAP-1620 Extender Review
D-LINK DAP-1620 comes with a compact design and a speed of up to 1200Mbps. With this, you can expect to enjoy a fast wireless connection. You have the option to extend the network using an Ethernet cable or Wi-Fi. Its dual-band technology is awesome when it comes to reducing interference caused by the nearby wireless transmitters. It can connect to all types of routers. However, the device might be a little unstable at times. Click here to download D-link Dap-1620 extender manual.